Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Admitting your errors

Sometimes it is best to admit you've been wrong, as we did today.
We'd overestimated the level of funding required to do the full major arcan, and so we'd put our stretch goal for doing so too high. Because of this there was a high chance we'd be stranded in the realm between 54 and 80, where we have only part of the major arcana.

In this case admitting the error was an easy choice to make. I found the idea of being stuck in that gap oddly repulsive: it was such an inelegant situation. I hadn't realised at first that I would feel that way, but I did.

And so I was very tempted to give up some of my gains from the adventurers, and take a loss on the normal decks, in order to make the full major arcana happen.
Knowing I could make it happen without resorting to such means made me happy. And knowing that it's an achievable goal will make our backers happy. It's good news for everyone; so why not admit it?


Two other things have also come up that I got wrong; which I haven't announced to the general audience of backers yet.

The first I won't be announcing at all: The large decks are making me a (tiny) loss, and are much worse for me than regular decks. I should have charged more for them. Why not announce that? Because it would make the backers who've picked large decks feel bad, it wouldn't make any of the backers happy, and it wouldn't really affect them anyway.

The second I will be announcing generally, but only once it's dealt with. One of the possible cardbacks I commisioned is not actually original art, it's a copyrighted piece made by someone else. Free for non-commercial use.
I got conned, essentially. But it was a cheap commission, so I'm not too bothered.

I promised three cardback options, and I intend to deliver three options. Which means I've had to commission a third option. Once that option comes in, I'll announce the change.

The backers aren't thinking about the backs at the moment, so there's no reason to distract them with the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment